Cannock Chase Mountain Bike Centre has 2 Red mountain bike trails known as Follow The Dog and The Monkey Trail (with black sections). There is also a green and 2 blue graded trails. Nearby is also a set of sister downhill trails just down the road in Stile Cop known as Stile Cop Downhill.
Work has started on a new section on The Monkey trail (just after The Wood Bank section) for launch in 2014. It will have rock gardens and berms, singletrack and boardwalks. Keep off this section for now. Rest of the trail open.
In January 2014 their new all singing cafe was refurbished and re-opened.
Follow the Dog (Red)
- Follow the Dog at Cannock Chase is a red graded 6 miles (10km) intermediate mountain bike trail aimed at competent mountain bikers. Opened in 2005 the trail was completely designed and built by Chase Trails and more recently additional sections have been added including the all new Tackeroo descent which was built as part of the contractor works to the Monkey Trail and was opened in April 2010.
The Monkey Trail (Red with Black Options)
- This opened in April 2010 and the Monkey Trail and it joins the Follow the Dog half way round. Again it’s a red graded trail but this time it’s a far more technically challenging and demanding trail. It is 6 miles (10km) long but put together with the Follow the Dog it is 12 - 12.4 miles (20km) long and includes bigger climbs, more technical descents and optional black graded lines. The trail is intended for experienced and technically competent rider. Some of the renowned sections to look out for are Rainbow Valley, Over the Rainbow, Deerskull, Pot of Gold and Roller Coaster. The Monkey Trail can be ridden by starting Follow the Dog to approximately half way..
- Chase Trails have just started this autumn 2013 to build a BRAND NEW 1km long descent on the Monkey Trail! check out their Facebook page for build days and go lend those folks a hand.
- There is also a Green graded trail suitable for families and beginners called The Fairoak Trail (4km).
- There is the Sherbrook Blue graded trail which has two loop choices. The 12km Pepper Slade Loop and the 20km Abraham's Valley Loop. These are mostly fireroad.
Groups and Clubs
- One of the things that makes Cannock special is that the trails are built and maintained by volunteer trail building group Chase Trails. The volunteers meet most Sundays and do some fantastic work. Some of their links are:
- Cannock Chase is a Forestry commission trail centre. They also make this all possible so respect. Check them out here.
- If you have ridden any of these trails at Cannock Chase then why not share your experience with us and write a short review, post a picture, video or favourite the trail.