Gunnerside Gill and Swaledale mountain bike trails in the Yorkshire Dales are natural XC MTB terrain. The region is gravelly, stony and rocky, so rides well most of the year but is known for its wind due to its moorland and high exposed but epic setting. In Summer 2017 work started on the new Multi User Swale Trail (see below).
In Summer 2017 work started on the new multi user Swale Trail (see below).
The Gunnerside Gill and Swaledale MTB Trails
- You will likely travel through Melbeck Moor and Gunnerside Gill. You will experience stony terrain, exposed moorland, (likely to be windy), swooping singletrack and tough technical terrain. There are long climbs and rewarding descents in Gunnerside Gill and Apedale as well as rocky technical terrain in Swaledale. It's a good XC mix.
- “The Swale Trail”, which it’s hoped will be completed by Easter 2018 is a valley bottom route 20km (12 miles) in length, of which 75% will be on traffic free tracks. It will be a ‘multi-user trail’, meaning that it can be used by all, including walkers and horse riders. It will be promoted to people with mobility difficulties and families with buggies. People will be able to complete as much or as little as they want of the Swale Trail, as it divides into four sections with various options to visit villages, pubs, cafes, accommodation and other tourism businesses along its length.
- OS Explorer OL30 'Yorkshire Dales ' Northern & Central Areas'.
- Check out the GPS routes below and in our GPS trail section.
- If you have ridden the mountain bike trails in Gunnerside Gill in the Yorkshire Dales then please share your experiences and post your GPS routes, pictures, videos and reviews to the trail listing.