Redbridge Cycling Centre (Hog Hill) is in Hainault in Essex, London and caters for families and beginners getting into mountain biking. It is a purpose built short mountain bike centre and also has a excellent road road circuit too.
It has been built to host national and international events, be used as a training centre and providing a facility for local residents. The mountain bike track is about 3.25 km in total and consists of a short flowing singletrack cross country circuit a neat descent section as well as a pump track section.
The Cross Country
- The XC section starts of with nice undulating dips and corners that build up speed. It has some neat berms and steady singletrack. It is quite flowing and I could imagine that for training and for racing you could see yourself improving time after time. The end of the XC leads nicely into the start of the descent section on one side or the start of the pump track on the other. This allows you to neatly session one or the other as you wish.
- The descent section is a lot of fun. It starts smooth with a reasonably sized berms setting the tone well. Soon though it moves into some quite surprisingly large berms that have quite a steep incline and help build speed. This then moves into section of rollable tabletops and dips all good for developing smooth movement, air and momentum as you are still carrying quite some speed at this point. The way back to the top is by a twisty turny route that is rideable or as I often observed walked. As mentioned here you can redo the descent or move onto the pump track.
The Pump Track
- The pump track is really what brings this place alive. It really flows well and as the sign says it is built to help you develop your rhythm and flow. It lets you build up speed and confidence at your own pace whilst allowing you to push your boundaries. It is full of dips, jumps and doubles which are all rollable. Unlike most pump tracks it is not on steady flat terrain but on a decline which is good for speed, fun and thrills and not so good as you have a climb on the way up and back. Still it offers you something each session.
- Cost: MTB track = £4
- Open: Monday - Sunday 9:00-17:00/Dusk. Please note last entry is 1 hour before close.
Clubs and Groups
- The centre runs a number of club activities. Check out the website above.
- The project managed by the CTC's Ian Warby and opened by our major Boris on the 19th of August 2008.
- Redbridge was the first London Borough to benefit from the 2012 Olympic legacy that made this ambitious project possible. £4.5 million was been spent via the London Development agency to produce a state of the art cycling centre (covering road trials as well at mtb).
- If you have had the opportunity to ride the track at Hog Hill / Redbridge Cycling Centre then please share your experience with the community and write a short review. Big thanks!