Betws-y-Coed has loads of natural trails and two red routes:
- The Marin Trail - Red 25km
- The Penmachno. Red 30km
- Llyn Elsi Route - Easy 10km
- This is a 25km red route. It is well known in Betsy and is a very fast course all the singletracks are rocky but with some with gravel and grit and characterized by being either tight and technical to open and flowing. There are lakes all round the area off the route and the views are amazing. You will often find yourself in an atmospheric dark forest scene and the next minute on an exposed ridge line. It's well sheltered from the rain as a result in many parts and there is a fair amount of fire road (on the ups mainly). The Marin Route is an all round route for anyone. It's only real hard bits are the climbs as they are long and mostly fire roads.
- This is a 30km red route. It is singletrack a plenty with at least 80% of it on all weather singletrack. The downs are tons of fun. There are two sections. Putting both loops together makes about 30km and has a strong flowing XC feel to it. There seems a lot of up and level at the outset but there are some rewarding flowing sections in the middle and a fantastic descent at the end, nothing mental (it is aimed more at XC riders) but enough to keep you smiling. And whilst there is no maps available - the route is well signposted and the split for loop 1 and 2 is also marked. There is no trail centre but there is a pub in the village.
Llyn Elsi Route
- Based to the south of the village this is an easier route (no grading available). It is a 10 km circular ride up to the old reservoir above the village and back down.
- Set in the Gwydyr forest as well as these two trails there are also hundreds of km of natural trails to explore
- Betws y Coed also has its own railway station. For rail details call 08457 484950.
- From North / North East: For the Marin Trail, turn right over the historic bridge immediately after Llanrwst then right onto the B5106 past ‘Gwydyr Castle’. The trail head and forest visitor centre are on the right after 500m. For Penmachno, from Betws y Coed, Head east on A5 toward B5106,Turn right to stay on A5, Turn right at B4406, Turn right at Newgate.
- From Midlands and South: For the Marin trail, head west through Betws y Coed, turning right over a narrow bridge in the centre of the town. Follow the B5106 north towards Llanrwst for 4km and follow the Forestry Centre signs off to the left. For Penmachno, from Betws y Coed, Head east on A5 toward B5106,Turn right to stay on A5, Turn right at B4406, Turn right at Newgate
- If you have ridden these mountain bike trails at Betws-y-Coed then why not share your experiences with us and please write a short review?