Machynlleth mountain bike base is based by Machynlleth in the Dyfi Forest south of Snowdonia in Powys in North Wales. They are also referred to as the Mach trails. There are four main trails: Mach1, Mach2, Mach3 and the more recent Cli-mach X. The first three are natural trails running deep into the forests and mountains. The ClimachX is more modern and has a carved out technical descent (the longest in Wales).
As this is a base each trails facilities will differ on an individual basis and generally be very limited or non existent. So make sure you come prepared.
They are in the process of re-routing all the Mach trails. A new route has been cut at the far end of Mach 2 and this will also effect Mach 3. Mach 1 route has also had a major change and we will keep you up to date with all the details as and when they are finalised.
Also in the pipeline is a new section on the CLIMACH-X. There is an extention planned for the final descent to come all the way to the car park at the start/finish.
Mach1 - (Blue)
- Mach 1 is a 16km fast natural blue trail and is not too technical.
Mach2 - (Red)
- Mach 2 is a 23km red run. The up is very steep and so the down as rewarding.
Mach3 - (Black)
- Mach 3 is a 30 km black run. It shares much of the Mach 2 route and then heads out further into the countryside. It’s famous for the Chute which is very steep, rocky, and dark.
Climach-X - (Black)
- Climachx is a 15k red run (final section is a black) and is the most recent of the trials. It is in the Dyfi forest and has 9km of carved single track with rock slab drops, turns and jumps. Famed to have the longest descent in Wales this includes the famous 'eye of the needle'; a huge jump with a narrow landing between two trees on the other side. It ends with 8 flowing massive berms.
- The Dyfi Enduro is a mountain bike event/festival that takes place in Machynlleth every May. The event is not just brilliant but it pays for the upkeep of the trails. So check it out. They even have their own Facebook page
Clubs and Groups
- The Dyfi forest is used for motor sports events on about 5 weekends a year. On these days the ClimachX trail is closed. So check out the website.
- The history is the locals formed a community group known as Dyfi Mountain Biking a bohemian community group who got funding for the trails to boost the local economy and put their trails on the MTB map.
- A mountain bike "Base" is an area/locality hosting several way-marked/mapped trails, with essential MTB facilities (accommodation, restaurants & cafes, bike shops etc.) all available within the vicinity from independent providers.
- If you have ridden any of the Mach trails in Dyfi forest then why not share your mountain bike experience with us and leave a short review or post some pictures or videos to the listing.