The Clwyds mountain bike base in North Wales is in one of the largest bases of MTB trails in the country. In total there are 11 routes covering green, blue, red and black. The most famous of all is the red MBR route. Most of the trails are the true definition of natural trail mountain biking and although there are trails from as short of 8km long upwards many in this area seem to be uncommonly (for these days) based around true endurance in terms of length.
As this is a base each trails facilities will differ on an individual basis and generally be very limited or non existent. So make sure you come prepared. We share a taster of each of them here but be sure to check out the Ride North Wales trail website for specific facility, direction and route maps. Right next to this area is the Hiraethog mountain bike base which be sure to also check it out when planning your trip.
Coed Moel Famau - (Blue)
- The Coed Moel Famau trail is 12.2km long, graded blue and takes about 2 hours to ride. It's predominately a forest ride with epic views along the route.
Along The Sea Front - (Green)
- The Along The Sea Front trail is 22km long, graded green and takes about 2.5 hours to complete. It takes in a mix of urban as well as sea front trail.
Cilcain Short - (Blue)
- The Cilcain Short is an 8.5km, green graded trail that takes about an hour to ride. It goes up the ridge to the Clwydian Range rewarding you with views over the Vale of Clwyd and Snowdonia before a nice single track descent back.
Coed Nercwys Multi User Trail - (Green)
- The Coed Nercwys trail is a shared trail for walkers, cyclists and horses. It is 4.2km in length, graded green and runs through the forest. It takes about an hour to complete.
The Over The Top - (Red)
- The Over The Top red graded trail is 34km long, takes about 3.5 hours to complete with some tough climbs as it takes you up 450 metres with then some rewarding great grassy descents.
Arthur 2 Times - (Red)
- The Arthur 2 Times red graded trail is 31km in length and takes about 3 hours in length. Has some steady climbing and interesting descents. Starts from Cilcain.
The Village Tour - (Blue)
- The 4 Village Tour is a blue graded 29km trail that takes about 3 hours to complete. It goes through four picture perfect welsh villages, forests and sweet single track descents.
MBR's Killer Loop - (Red)
- The MBR Killer Loop is the most famous of the trails in the Clwyds area. Full of climbs, great descents, technical terrain and breathtaking views. It is 37km long and takes at least 4 hours to ride.
Almost The Delyn - (Black)
- The Almost The Delyn trail is a stupendously long 78.8km in length and if you survive it takes at least 8 hours. Hence it is graded black.
Going Backwards - (Red)
- The Going Backwards red trail is 37km and takes about 5 hours to do. With the start and finish in the historic market town of Ruthin, the route soon gets you out onto the hillside with a tough climb straight up and over the Range. The route then takes you across the eastern side of the Range and through Clwyd Forest before the welcome descent back into the Vale of Clwyd.
Loop De Loop
- The Loop De Loop trail is another stupendously long red trail at 53.5km (they must make them tough in North Wales). It is made up of 5 interlinked loops. one of the benefits of this is less experienced riders can ‘pick and choose’ a shorter route if they wish. Each of the loops has a different feel. Some have long simple climbs, others a fast singletrack descent
- The website http://ridenorthwales.co.uk/ has detailed maps and guides to each of these so be sure to check it out.
- A mountain bike "Base" is an area/locality hosting several way-marked/mapped trails, with essential MTB facilities (accommodation, restaurants & cafes, bike shops etc.) all available within the vicinity from independent providers.
- If you have tried any of these MTB trails in the Clwyds mountain bike base then why not share your experiences with the community and write a short review? Big thanks!