The Penmachno Mountain Bike Trails are in North Wales in the Snowdonia National Park.
Just outside the town of Betws-y-Coed, they are round the corner from their sister trail The Marin.
Basically, the Penmachno is two red graded MTB loops which can be ridden separately or can be joined up and ridden together to form one big epic ride. The Dolen Machno loop (Loop1) is 19k and the Dolen Eryri loop (loop 2) is 11k.
Two new sections of red singletrack opened on October 1st, 2014.
Dolen Machno (Loop 1)
The Dolen Machno loop is 19km long and is red graded. The climbs are tough and the descents reward you with speed and technicalsingle-track.
In October 2014 two new sections opened on loop 1. They replace existing sections of fire road. The first links Craig Wen (1.8) with Hafod Fraith (1.9), creating 3km of single track with an average gradient of -6%. The second section parallels the fire road section to Allt Pen y Bont (1.10), is 1km and -2% and has a couple of rock steps and two berms to finish with.
Dolen Eryri (Loop 2)
- The Dolen Eryri loop is 11km long and also graded red. This is more flowing terrain in nature with boardwalk flowing single-track and technical stone trail.
Penmachno Trail (Loop 1 & Loop 2)
- The Penmachno is simply combining the two above loops together to form an epic 30 km ride.
- If you are not sure if you want to do both loops as one epic then start with Loop 1 (Dolen Machno) as Loop 2 (Dolen Eryri) joins at the mid point and you can decide then.
- If you have ridden the mountain bike trails at Penmachno then please share your experiences with the community and post a review, some pics and/or vids.
- Also, why not check out the iBikeRide Index of the Top UK Trails to see where Penmachno is ranked. You might be surprised!